Tuesday, January 26, 2010

My Day with Boy

Today, the bathroom tile was getting re-glazed. Since Tuesday is not a daycare day and dudes were going to be wreaking havoc in our home we decided it might be a good day to have Quentin out of the house as adding a terror to dudes wreaking havoc is a recipe for not good outcome. So, we signed him up for daycare at Mass General. We didn't need to be there until 830 so with my ticket to HOV lane in tow we took off at about 730, FYI Hanson to Boston during AM rush hour without the HOV lane cannot be done in an hour. We pulled out of the driveway and I started rocking out to some old-school Metallica (For Whom the Bell Tolls for those interested) and to what should I see in the back seat but my 2.5 year old son banging his head to the beat just like his dad. I was so proud. Since we were two dudes rocking out on our way to Boston, we stopped and got some Munchkins from Quentin's favorite establishment, Dunkin Donuts. Another FYI, there are about five to choose from on our route to the highway, more if you are willing to take very minor detours. This of course started to incessant "no-nucks" (aka donuts in the Lexicon of Quentin), "a-more" (more, duh), and "PLEASE." The kid can polish of some donuts. On the radio station I listen to, they are qualifying people for a wing eating contest. Basically they are coming into studio and trying to eat some god-awful amount of food in 90 to seconds to qualify for the wing contest. People were trying to eat a bag of cheesy-poofs, 10 Popeye's chicken legs, 50 pieces of sushi (from the grocery store = high quality). Do you think I could qualify if I said my 2.5 year old could eat 10 Munchkins in 90 seconds, sadly I think he could. Once on the highway he got to point to all the "big trucks" while I got to point and laugh at all the suckers in gridlock while we coasted down the HOV. The rest of the drive was pretty boring. Once we got to daycare they had a water table set up. Within 5 seconds he was up to his elbows in water and his security blanket was sleeping with the fishes. I tried to pick him up to say goodbye but he got hysterical because he had to check out all the new toys so I said goodbye and went off to my morning lectures. After a thrilling three hours, I had to head north to Revere to basically pass out Plan B to a bunch of promiscuous teenage girls who wisely did not want to be on the next season of Teen Mom. After handing out my last box of Plan B to a girl who didn't use condoms because of some issue with latex and just didn't like the feel of non-latex I headed back to the general to pick up the boy. He seemed to have a good day and to my surprise they told me he napped on a mat on the floor. I still cannot comprehend this. He sleeps in a packandplay at daycare and most of the time at home when we put him down for naps he plays in his room for an hour before finally deciding to nap. Even as I write this I can't believe that he napped on a mat. For part of his afternoon snack they gave him water to which he responded, "No want that." I think the ship has sailed on him drinking water. He is a juice drinker, but we dilute the holy hell out of it. However, he recently has become a little more picky and will refuse to drink it if he feels we have over-diluted it simply saying, "No want that." When we got to the car, daddy had a surprise for his little buddy, a Grave Digger monster truck. Needless to say, he loved it. We are not sure how but he is already calling it "Digger." Neither of us really drilled it into his head that the truck was called Grave Digger but somehow he knew. The car ride home was full of more requests for "no-nucks." I had a fun day with my little HOV pass.

No comments: