Monday, February 22, 2010

MONSTER JAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As our loyal readers are likely aware, Quentin LOVES monster trucks. We watch an absolutely horrible video about them at least three times a day. We've now seen it so much I could probably type the entire script from memory. There is also a video at daycare about them that he watches all the time as well. He also now has lots and lots of monster truck toys. His favorite one is Grave Digger, or in Quentin-speak "Digger." I got him a toy Grave Digger a month or so ago that has become attached to him, often ending up in his bed at night. With all this in mind, about three months ago I started looking to see if the monster trucks were coming to a town near us and they were. The Monster Jam was coming to the DCU Center in Worcester February 19-21. I checked my schedule and saw that I was amazingly not on call. So we got tickets. When grandpa heard about this he decided he was coming too!! So as part of an elaborate plan to go see monster trucks and dump the kids at the grandparents' we met grandma and grandpa for dinner right next to the DCU center. I got even more excited this week when I saw a commercial for the event saying that Grave Digger was going to be there. In addition, the Monster Mutt was going to be there. Not surprisingly, we have three Monster Mutt toys, I mean it is a monster truck that looks like a dog with floppy ears, a wagging tail, and tongue that moves! After dinner, the three boys went to see the trucks and the girls headed back to Western Mass.
I had a little trepidation going into this event. While I knew he would love to see the trucks, I was worried it was going to be so loud that he would freak out. Well, he loved it! I put some earplugs in his ears and amazingly he only took them out twice. As soon as he saw the Monster trucks, his eyes did not move away for one second. While I saw a parade of kids leaving because it was so loud, Quentin never flinched. We were seated in the first row of the second level and there was a guard rail in front of us. The only time he got upset during the two hour show was when I would peel him away from the guard rail so he wouldn't plummet onto some unsuspecting jabroni in the first level. I tried my best to keep him in my lap but occasionally I had to give in so he could look the rails and jump in sheer excitement. Grandpa bought him a Grave Digger flag that he waved with pride. He even caught on the idea of waving his hands to try to get the guy with the T-shirt cannon to shoot a shirt his way. He's really been going through a stage where he is pushing his boundaries and can really be a pain in the ass, i.e. like at gym class earlier in the day. However, last night reminded me how amazing being a father is and how much I love my son. Please notice that there are very few pictures of the front of his face because he would not turn away from the action for one second.

5 comments:

EG said...

Will was a pain in the ass at that age, too. To the extent that I thought we might need professional help. He's mellowed out and is now just a normal level of pain-in-the-ass.

Anyway, glad the Monster Jam worked out! We didn't take Will when it was here because of the sound issue. Earplugs- good idea!

Leah said...

I bought him that video, didn't I?
My sincerest apologies. You can retaliate with any of the dozen or so sequels to Land Before Time.

Carey said...

You are the coolest parents!

kiwi said...

he liked the bigfoot video, but the ones we watch incessantly is the "all about" one with hard hat harry.

Leah said...

Oh god, we have that one too although Calder seems to prefer the All About dinosaurs with Backpack Jack.