Monday, July 2, 2007

temporary doctor hates me

today was my last appointment here in richmond. i have a temporary ob/gyn because my original richmond doctor is out on maternity leave. i also have a doctor lined up in boston, but for the time being i have been seeing one of the other doctors in the richmond practice. he is worried about my anemia so i had to do another blood test today. i was kinda hoping that it might just be a finger prick because he was just checking in. nope. and it was even worse than the previous two blood tests, including the glucose screening. i think he's trying to torture me because i stopped taking the iron for a while (with my original doctor's permission) because of how bad my nausea was. the nurse drawing my blood had never even seen a doctor order the some of the tests he was requesting (scary!) AND whatever he was looking for requires 7 full vials of my blood to see (ouch!) the regular jabby nurse was out on vacation today so i had their substitute nurse. like original nurse, she's an older lady who believes that the best place to get blood out of me is in my arm even though my veins are non-existent. i try to tell these people that the veins in the back of my hand are far superior but they don't listen to me. substitute nurse jabbed me in my left arm and managed to get 3 of 7 vials before that vein ran dry (meanwhile leaving me with a nasty bruise - again.) fortunately, before she could dig in my other arm to get the rest, another substitute nurse swung by the lab and offered to help out. she was much younger and willing to give my hand a try after i promised her it wouldn't bother me any more than the constant arm jabbing and bruising. sub nurse #2 got 4 vials out of my right hand in half the time it took to get the 3 out of my left arm. she said i had the most productive hand veins she'd ever seen. see - you should listen to me nurses! and the best part - no bruise and no pain. roo is still tracking a little big, but within normal tolerances so that's good. but getting papa john's for dinner last night = bad idea, at least on the night before a doctor's appointment. i weighed 3 pounds more this morning than i did yesterday morning because the papa just sitting in my belly. oops! but sometimes you just need comfort food!

No comments: